Tons of progress has happened since my last post about this project I got myself into! When we first started, I assumed it would take a solid year before I was able to move any of my gear in. If everything goes as planned, I could be in there by mid-September. It may not be a completely ‘livable’ place by then, but it should have electricity, walls and a floor.
Here is the new and current plan we are moving forward with. We ended up running into an interesting problem with the plumbing situation that made us take our interior room layout plan and completely reverse it. This turned out to work so much better. Now the ‘back’ of the building will be the front, and the main entry door will be a large set of french doors. We also decided not to do dual sliding glass doors as we originally planned. Mainly because I really need the wall space for equipment and shelving. The other big change that happened is with the lofted bedroom area. In the original plans we thought this would only be a 10’x8′ room, but we are now extending the room into the other garage half of the building. So it will almost double in size and become a lot more usable.
From left to right are three rooms. Kitchen, bathroom and soundbooth. The soundbooth is about 5×7 feet or so. No drum recording will be happening in here, but that’s ok because I never do that kind of stuff. However, this room has an extra door on it that will lead out into the garage half of this building. So in the event that I need to record in a really big space, I’ll be able to open this door and run a snake out into the larger garage room. Of course I’ll have to figure out some means of acoustic treatment for that scenario, but this space will still be isolated from the main control room.
We’re still finishing up the interior framing and we’ll be running electric, CAT5e ethernet, and audio cables for an XLR / TRS patch panel in the sound booth. After that we’ll do all the drywall, lighting and maybe even a ceiling fan or two.
– Future Workspace and Environment: Part 1